Early pioneers built Fort St. John into the largest city in British Columbia’s northeast region. Modern day pioneers continue to bring a fresh spirit of exploration, innovation and community to the City that has successfully and responsibly managed the bounty of opportunities around it.
Fort St. John is The Energetic City, which reflects not only our large resource base of oil, natural gas, forestry and agriculture, but also the vitality of our residents who are keen to live and work in a community that gives back so much. Fort St. John attracts European travelers with wilderness and eco-adventures, as well as hunting and fishing. The City features excellent year-round sports facilities. Since its beginning in 1794 as a trading post, Fort St. John has grown with opportunities like the completion of the Alaska Highway in 1942 that sparked a population boom and the discovery of high-grade oil in 1951 that set the City’s course as British Columbia’s Oil and Gas Capital.
Today, more than 19,000 people, mostly young families with children, call Fort St. John home. The City, located in the heart of majestic Peace River country, is the largest regional service center in northeastern BC, servicing 60,000 people in the area.